Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Trying to Lighten the Load

Okay. In my camera case - which has been getting progressively, and I'm thinking UNNECESSARILY larger - I have two (yes, TWO) Pentax K20D bodies and six lenses (one of which weighs over 4lbs). Add to the gamut my filters, chargers, extra batteries, a flash, tripod, cleaning supplies... and D'OH!! I now am the proud owner of a cumbersome backpack weighing in at about 25lbs. Can you say CAMERA NERD!!
While this is fine for storage (I love having everything so organized!!) and even for day-to-day use (I usually grab one body and at the most two lenses and an extra battery), it really bites the big one when it comes to travelling - specifically air travel. Because I'm the type of person who prefers to fly with carry-on; I check a suitcase only if absolutely necessary.
Thus brings me to my dilemna. I am doing research and am trying to decide upon the most amazing point-and-shoot ever!! Then, instead of lugging my gargantuan camera pack on the plane and being forced to check everything else, I can carry a purse-size case for my pared-down photography gear and still have room on my back for other belongings if I so choose. I am hoping to find something that might fit into a coat pocket... yet I'd like it to provide stellar picture quality... a decent zoom range would be nice... fast lens... image stabilization... RAW capability... the list goes on and on!! The biggest kicker is: I am leaving in a month on vacation to Australia, and I would really like to try out this new travel style!
A couple of possibilities so far are:

  • Panasonic GF1 - with either the 20mm/f1.7 or the 14-45mm/f3.5-5.6; price is a little steeper and the 20mm obviously has no zoom, but image quality is wicked!
  • Canon SX20IS - mega zoom, but no RAW format
  • Canon G11 - not in stock at very many stores yet, but it may be worth waiting for as an underwater housing is made specifically for this camera!
  • Ricoh Caplio GX200 - possible contender, except that it's not available anywhere in Canada
  • Panasonic DMC-LX3 - has almost everything I want, but I already have the LX2!!
Yes, I realize I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to this kind of stuff. And I'm a full-on gear junkie, I know. I can't help myself. But now I am on a quest to get myself set up perfectly for travel photography, and I have about 30 days to come to a conclusion! Stay tuned!
Cheers.

No comments: