Saturday, December 19, 2009

Thoughts on the GF-1














I can hardly contain myself - I am so pleased with the Panasonic GF-1! We recently travelled to Australia, and I wasn't wanting to take along my entire D-SLR kit... so I began researching many options for a smaller, yet still great quality, camera. If you've read a few of my prior posts, you'll know that I had some issues getting another point'n'shoot repaired, and that I bought a Canon D10, and then the issues were resolved, so I returned the D10... yadda yadda...
At any rate, the GF-1 with the 20mm/f1.7 lens is amazing! First of all, it is relatively compact - not much larger than my DMC-LX2. Second of all, it is unbelievably adaptable to many shooting conditions. I had it on the plane, in the city, at the beach, at the aquarium, in bright sunlight, in overcast light... I was impressed by it's response and results every time I used it. Of course the 1.7 aperture capability creates numerous fun opportunities, and the 20mm fixed focal length is usable in most all situations.
I have yet to take any pics in RAW format, because the variety of jpeg photo setting options is so endless... I haven't even begun to experiment with all of them! What I do know for sure so far, is that I am liking the GF-1 pictures almost as much as the ones I take with my Pentax. Who'd have thunk??
Cheers.

1 comment:

Declan McCarthy said...

Hi, Im one of the kids that you were taking photos of in merimbula in NSW, Australia. It was on the lake and you talked to my mum, she lost your card with your details. Is it possible if i can see the photos my email is decdok@yahoo.com , Also my name is Declan.
Thankyou