Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Lazy Photographer

Yep, that's me. L-A-Z-Y. Not as in the 'lay on the couch, eat bon-bons' kind of lazy (although I have those days, too!!)... because I definitely enjoy taking my camera on long, steep, sweat-inducing outings... I'm talking in the 'can't be bothered with filters, tripods, or setting my alarm for 4:30am' kind of way. Recently, a good friend - who is one of the best outdoor photographers I know - and I spent a stellar day, checking out ice crystals on partially frozen streams and groves of trees and small running waterfalls. She had filter stacked upon filter, and she took about three quarters of her photos using a tripod. The results: absolutely AWESOME pics!

The crispness of the rocks, ice, moss, and branches combined with the softness of the moving water... I can't describe how beautiful her pictures are! Now I, on the other hand, only took my fisheye lens and Lensbaby... and I handheld every shot:



I have to say however, that in their own way, my photographs turned out quite alright as well. It was kind of fun to see what I could get, with minimal effort. Playing around in full manual mode is always a good exercise for me; the flat, dull light allowed for the slower shutter speeds necessary to blur moving water. I was especially pleased with how the Lensbaby made my poplar photos so interesting, and how I was able to get a few unusual but cool pics that only a fisheye can make possible. Definitely two lenses that I will never be able to live without!



On the getting up at 4:30am front... well, I may have to suck it up for a few days in August. This same friend and I are planning a photography / camping trip into the Lake O'Hara area, and I know she loves sunrises and sunsets... Who knows, maybe I'll even cave and take along my limited selection of filters and crappy tripod? I'm looking forward to the adventure!














Cheers!


No comments: